Family Law FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Navigation

Do I need a lawyer?

No you don’t but it can be really useful to talk to the team at Richardson Legal about questions or concerns you have.

Talking to a lawyer earlier and obtaining practical information and advice can help you resolve your family law dispute early.

At Richardson Legal we want to help our clients resolve matters and be able to move forward.

If I see a lawyer, do I have to attend Court?

No. Seeing a lawyer does not necessarily mean you will end up attending Court.

Sometimes, a consultation to receive advice about your personal situation is all that is required. Other times, you may need Mediation, Dispute Resolution or other services like going to Court.

What is the process to engage Richardson Legal?

You can complete the online enquiry form here and we will get in touch with you. You can also call us or send us an email.

We will go through your needs and how we can best help you. We will invite you to meet with one of our lawyers for an Initial Appointment.

We can conduct meetings at our conveniently located offices in West Perth, by telephone or online using Zoom or Teams.

What will my legal fees be?

It is hard to estimate your legal fees until we have had our Initial Appointment with you and discussed with you what help you need.

During your Initial Appointment we will discuss our strategy for working with you and provide you some estimates of costs.

After the Initial Appointment, we send you a Costs Agreement which sets out our fees and our estimates of your costs during the various stages that a family law matter can take.

How much is an initial appointment?

Our Family Law Team charge on an hourly basis so the cost of your Initial Appointment will depend on who you are consulting with. We go through all these details with you before you make your appointment.

What do I need to bring to my initial consultation?

It is useful if you can bring with you any correspondence you have received from your partner / spouse or from their lawyer. Please also bring any Court Orders, Parenting Plans or other documents which evidence any agreements you have reached.

How can I make an appointment?

Please follow the link at the bottom of the page related to the legal service you want help with and provide us with the requested information. We will then be in touch with you to discuss how we can help.
You can also complete this enquiry form to get started.

Can I use your legal services if I don’t live in Perth?

Absolutely! We can work with clients by telephone, email and video conferencing.