Child support

Helping you achieve financial support for your child.


Child Support Lawyers in Perth
We help you achieve and provide financial support for your child.

Have you and your significant other (either a spouse or de facto) decided to end your relationship?

This is a difficult decision to make, even more so when children are involved.

Children can often be used as pawns in the game when it comes to divorce and separation.

But, by law, it’s up to both parents to maintain the welfare of their shared children – physically, emotionally and of course, financially.

Navigating child support arrangements can be difficult. At Richardson Legal, we advocate for the best outcomes of your child(ren), with experience-backed approaches and sympathetic understanding.

What is child support?

Child support refers to payments made by one parent to the other parent to support the upbringing of their shared child(ren).

The child support scheme has been put into place by the Australian Government to ensure children receive an appropriate level of financial support from parents who are separated. The payment(s) is calculated based on each parent’s income , the child’s age and the number of nights the child(ren) stays in each parent’s home.

Child support is not the same as spousal or de facto partner maintenance payments.

How do I apply for child support

Many parents or caregivers choose to make an application for a child support assessment directly to the Child Support Agency.

Some divorcing/separating parents reach their own agreement on child support arrangements. It’s these arrangements where greater flexibility and frequency of payment is achievable.

What if I don’t see my children – do I still have to pay child support?


Both parents have a shared responsibility to support their child financially, as well as attend to their physical, mental and emotional. wellbeing.

Child support does not discriminate on the reasons why a child is not spending time with the parent who is paying.

My child has completed high school – do I still have to pay

Only in special circumstances can a parent obtain ‘adult child maintenance’ for a child with regards to expenses of that child over the age of 18, or who has completed high school.

Richardson Legal can assess your circumstances to determine the viability of this option for you and your child(ren).

Are there any alternative arrangements for child support?

Yes – if both parents mutually agree with this arrangement. 

A Limited or Binding Child Support Agreement can vary the amount of child support assessed, and also provide for the proportion of payment of certain expenses such as private school fees, extracurricular activities, and medical/allied health costs.

The team at Richardson Legal are reputable child support lawyers in Perth.

We’re ready to assist you make choices in the best interests of your child.